1) Trusting the Bible podcast series – This looks brilliant: Andrew Ollerton, who presents & wrote the Bible Society’s Bible Course, is launching a podcast where he interviews experts on the Bible from Tyndale House, Cambridge, a theological research centre. The aim is to grow our confidence in the Bible. The first episode drops tomorrow, featuring Dr Peter Williams. Looks set to be a great resource to get us tooled up – why not subscribe now?
2) Virtually Keswick Convention – Monday-Friday this coming week sees the annual Keswick Convention go online – all on the timely theme of Hope. Daily Bible readings (on Psalms from Christopher Ash), seminars, and evening celebrations (featuring EMU Music) are all on offer, as well as a kids and youth programme. I’m looking forward to sharing some reflections on our situation as part of Friday’s seminar on church life in and beyond lockdown. Take a look at this little ‘How to’ guide for all the tech details, as well as the main VKC site above for listings. And it’s all free!
4) The Power and the Glory – Interview with Tom Holland – Really interesting and extensive interview with author and historian Tom Holland. I suspect his latest, Dominion, will be on many Christians’ summer reading lists. This interview gives a decent insight into the man behind the book, as well as the fascinating journey his books have taken him on.
5) Rest and rhythm: a message from Genesis to Revelation for busy lawyers – The Lawyers’ Christian Fellowship have been running a series of online events looking at the issue of mental health. This event, with Rev Simon Vibert, looks at how the whole Bible story shows us God has made us for a rhythm of rest, work, and worship. Whether or not you’re a lawyer, I’m sure you’ll benefit from this free event.
6) Drained and Depressed by the Internet? Go Outside – Yes and amen. I mean, the title is persuasive enough, right? But this is a beautiful reminder of how nature is ‘life-giving and wisdom-enhancing’. So, what you waiting for?
7) WindowSwap – For something a bit different, if lockdown screen time has got you pining for a different view, then this is the perfect antidote! Does exactly what it says on the tin – from the confines of your desk!
Quote of the Week:
“Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer’s day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.”
– John Lubbock