The Sunday Refill – 7 Links for Your Weekend (10/6/18)
1) Joy Through Suffering – An Interview with Paul Perkin – Powerful interview with Paul, speaking a few days after being diagnosed with terminal cancer. Paul died and went to be with the Lord in April 2018.
2) Moving our Congregations to More Effective Evangelism – The reality is many of our churches grow through ‘transfer-growth’ rather than new believers. This has some helpful wisdom on encouraging people to ‘get out into the world’.
3) How Tolkien created Middle-earth – How do you create a whole new world? Interesting article about a new Tolkien book and exhibition in Oxford.
4) The failed abortion survivor whose mum thought she was dead – Just remarkable.
5) Liz Vice’s New Album – Vice’s debut album, There’s A Light, was one of my favourite recommendations a few years back – particularly because at the time you could download it for free on Noisetrade. As Vice explains, that record was “supposed to be a one-off thing—that we give away for free, that talks about Jesus, proclaims the gospel. Making music that isn’t cheesy, shove-it-down-your-throat, unrealistic kind of music. Then it just took off.” Now you can listen or purchase the follow-up, Save Me.
6) Why Most of What You Believe About Poverty Is Wrong – Mez McConnell shares his experiences as he reviews a recent influential book by Mauricio Miller and evaluates its impact for ministry.
7) The Weird, Dangerous, Isolated Life of the Saturation Diver – For something a bit different, when did you last consider what it was like to be a saturation diver…