The Sunday Refill – 7 Links for Your Weekend (13/6/21)
1) A Place for God – I appreciated this free download of the opening chapter of Pete Nicholas’ new book seeking to navigate timeless questions for modern times. Tim Keller provides the foreword, which is a great read too.
2) Parents, We Get to Pray – So much well-worn wisdom in this from Kathleen Nielson.
3) Many Strategies Fail Because They’re Not Actually Strategies – Some helpful stuff here from HBR.
4) Sowing Truth and Trusting God – We plant, we water, we serve… this is an encouraging brief little video reflecting on a season of trial and change and God’s providence.
5) Ofsted Survey on Sexual Harassment in Schools – Concerning data in this report suggesting that sexual harassment has been entirely normalised in our schools. Huge questions about the narrative of sexual freedom here, as well as the impact of pornography. Is sexual fulfilment the key to human flourishing? Is freedom to express our desires a basic human right? Is porn really neutral? As Peter Lynas tweeted, ‘when stories clash in post-truth culture, it revers to a power grab’. Or, as Rachel Gardner put it, ‘Porn is what happens when a society hates women… hates sex, intimacy, children, stable relationships & a safe society.’
6) Humpback whale gulps and spits out Cape Cod lobsterman – What can I say? Jonah 2.0.
7) The greatest ever songs of the summer – ranked! – For something a bit different, we’re just about halfway through June so clearly it’s time to compile those summer playlists. Some strong choices here from The Guardian. What would you include?