The Sunday Refill – 7 Links for Your Weekend (24/10/21)
1) What Kills Leaders – If you’re in set-aside pastoral ministry – or know or care for those who are – this is worth spending half an hour watching – especially over half-term. Marcus Honeysett is the director of Living Leadership which provides soul care for church leaders in the UK and beyond.
2) Gentle and Lowly Song – After the immense popularity of Dane Ortlund’s book, Gentle & Lowly, the UK outfit Joyful Noise have created this song to celebrate “the heart of Christ for sinners and sufferers like us”.
3) What is Good Work? – I appreciated this reflection by Alan Jacobs who contrasts two recent articles on work and productivity.
4) Empty Pews Are an American Public Health Crisis – Fascinating… being part of a church is good for your health!
5) Assisted Dying Bill Speeches – Grateful for those who spoke against the Assisted Dying Bill this week, including the Archbishop of Canterbury who gave the excellent speech above. Let’s not mention this speech by Lord Vinson that claimed Christ’s death was ‘assisted’ – although the looks by the Bishops and Lords around him as we makes his claim are good value.
6) Squid Game – Lots of people are talking about this relatively new Netflix show depicting violent versions of childhood games. This article from Premier Christianity is a helpful introduction, but David Robertson’s article is well worth a read too: “Squid Game is a morality tale but one that offers no answers… how can we deal with the virus of evil that runs through the middle of every human heart?”
7) The Interstellar remake I never knew I wanted – For something a bit different, it’s amazing what you can do with a drone….